Thursday, June 18, 2015

Fathers are Special!!










On Father's day this year I want to thank all the dads who make a difference in their children's lives. We love to see fathers taking an active role in the lives of their kids. We see dads everyday in our office that have a positive influence on our patients. They are involved and it shows.  Having a father understand the treatment  aids us by actively encouraging compliance with treatment.  A little fatherly persuasion is always helpful in obtaining a successful treatment outcome. Of course it only works when the relationship is developed over many years, with a lot of love and sacrifice. This bond is a wonderful thing that cannot be bought or demanded, but earned with great time and effort.  A great father is certainly not perfect, but their love and devotion to their children is never questioned.


I can honestly say that I have been blessed with the gift of a wonderful father. He has taught me so much that I could never catalogue all the lessons; If I was wiser as a child I would have. It would be an excellent manual on how to be a father, a book we are never given.  Lessons like these are learned through experience and are often felt in the heart not analyzed in the mind. He showed me I can do anything. Never be afraid to attempt things, if you are prepared and put the effort in to it, you will be successful. I may not get the outcome that I desired but I would be better off.  No experience is a bad experience unless you let it be. He instilled a tremendous work ethic in me that began in 8th grade when I cleaned the office on the weekends, continued with working in the lab in high school and college, to finally treating patients after finishing my orthodontic training. Every task no matter how small was important and if you did the work you owned the outcome. His wealth of orthodontic experience was a tremendous advantage for me when I joined the practice as a new graduate in 1989. I was amazed by how little I knew when I arrived after 6 years of dental/orthodontic school. He certainly has been the biggest influence on making me the clinician I am today. Most importantly he showed me how to treat people and not just straighten teeth. To place the patient first, serve them and treat them as you would want to be treated. We are partners with a common goal. If your service to them is the driving force in your practice then you will sleep well at night. 


I will finish with a big thank you to  all the fathers out there doing their best. Keep the focus on the right sight and I hope you sleep well at night!



Dr. Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment